Sunday, February 16, 2014

Blazing The Trail: ATV Quad Adventure Cambodia




A few days before we left for Cambodia, I read our schedule of events to Douglas and his face lit up when I said we were going to ride ATVs. We had never been ATV riding together. Let the fun begin!

We rode with Quad Adventure Cambodia (QAC). They offer a variety of tours satisfying everyone, from those on the fence about hopping on an ATV to adventurous routes for thrill seekers. We selected the Easy Ride tour. Although I am the one who signed us up for this excursion, I was a little hesitant about the ride. I had never been on an ATV before. Douglas had done it a few years ago on a trip with one of his previous units.

QAC is run by a duo of kind professionals. They provided us with excellent service. They picked us up from our hotel, free of charge, and brought us back when we were done. After arriving to the site, the gentleman in charge gave us a warm welcome while giving us a tour of the facility. Safety is their number one priority. Our instructor provided a detailed lesson on how to properly operate and correctly sit on the vehicle while driving. He then took us both out on a test ride around the block to ensure we knew how to ride safely. Afterwards, it was off to hit some trails! The ride lasted for a little over 90 minutes. While I am happy I selected the Easy Ride as a beginner, I could have definitely rode longer and did the Discovery Ride for 2 ½ hours. I felt a rush of adrenaline the whole time. Once I comfortably acclimated myself with the gears, I stopped focusing on the driving and just enjoyed the riding experience.

The driver led the way on his motor bike. I was in the middle and Douglas was behind me. We explored the Cambodian countryside and its beautiful landscapes as we passed by the rice fields and drove through the forest. For the first time I walked onto a rice field and saw up close how it is grown. We saw many villages deep in the countryside and even stopped at one to grab a snack and chat with the people living there. The little kids starred at us in awe the entire time. They were so cute!

We enjoyed the sights of various animals on the farmland, once mistaking oxen for malnourished cows. I must admit while enjoying these views I didn’t stare too long, as I was focused on the road ahead of me. Douglas made himself the photographer for this excursion. He was much more comfortable with the ATV than I was. At times when I turned around he looked professional while standing up riding his ATV with the biggest smile ever. I tried to do what he did and was somewhat successful as I barely made it off the seat. I just couldn’t bring my body to fully stand. I was a little too afraid I would end up in a ditch, the subject of a bad ATV story on what riders should not do. It was incredibly fun though, even the dirty parts. They provide you with a mask to keep the dust out of your face. I also wore sunglasses to keep the dirt from getting in my eyes. If you go ATV riding be prepared to get dirty from the dust that will cover your body and possibly a little muddy if you take a more adventurous path. At one point we went through a narrow strip in the forest where I was smacked in the face on both sides with tree branches. I could have done without that part of the route!

QAC is a must-do while in Siem Reap. It takes you out of the tourist-filled city and gives a real picture of rural life in Cambodia. Another fantastic excursion crossed off our list!




Just the instructor showing me the controls, but Douglas kept a very close eye.


Off on my training run!






Thank goodness for the translation...




A lot of people had these oxen pulling carts and helping to plow fields.






We saw many of these thatch roof houses throughout the countryside.




The children were incredibly cute and friendly.




They live such simple lives, not needing the everyday items we seemingly cannot live without.




Rice field

Rice plant

A grain of rice






Riding like a boss!

Me...not so much. I tried!





Children walking  and riding bikes home from school












A dried fruit snack, maybe plum












All done!


1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing time ATV riding. Isn't it crazy how different the countryside is from downtown Siem Reap, especially since it really isn't even that far away? When you saw the kids headed home from school did they try and high five you as you rode by?

    My husband & I went ATV riding when we were in Siem Reap for our honeymoon & loved it! Check out our ATV adventure:
    http://moneyleftfortravel.com/atv-riding-with-quad-adventure-cambodia/

    ReplyDelete