Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The National Mosque of Malaysia (Masjid Negara)



My interest in learning about other cultures and religions has increased notably since we started living abroad. When I researched the top attractions in Kuala Lumpur, I found that a visit to the National Mosque – Masjid Negara in Malay – was among the top ten.

The mosque is not always open to tourists. There are set days and times when non-Muslims can enter. I arranged for us to go on a Wednesday before noon. The sprawling compound has a capacity of 15,000 people. Situated approximately twenty minutes outside the city center, it is a beautifully maintained artistic symbol of this Islamic country. It is surrounded by charming gardens and lush greenery.

We could feel complete serenity upon stepping foot on the property. It was such a peaceful and calm atmosphere, even with other visitors wandering about the facility. Since my body was not fully covered I had to wear one of the long purple robes with an attached hood which is similar to a burka, except for the exposed face. You also have to remove your shoes at the entrance. I had no socks on that day so I went barefoot. I am usually extremely hesitant to go barefoot in any public venue and always make sure to carry a pair of socks in my purse. This time I forgot but it was not a problem. The floors along with the entire mosque were impeccably clean. The cool stone floors made my feet very comfortable.

We wandered around the large mosque and admired its stunning architecture. It was amazing in its simplicity. I was able to disconnect with any prior thoughts running through my head within minutes of entering. I immediately felt a peaceful and spiritual connection brewing inside of me despite being a non-Muslim. The atmosphere could easily bring that out of any visitor. Douglas and I admired the Main Prayer Hall from behind the glass doors since it was only open to Muslims. Directly outside the prayer hall was a station with an abundance of literature to provide information about the Islamic faith. The station was managed by a friendly elderly Islamic woman who spoke with us at great length about Islamic culture and practices. She was more than happy to answer all of our questions and encouraged us to inquire more.  

We did not stay for more than an hour, but being there was a beautiful experience. Although I am a proud Christian, there are pieces of different religions that I adore and have unconsciously adapted into my way of life. Our deepest beauty is not found from the mirror in which we view alone; it is found in the mirrors of all that is good around us.






Happily being fitted into my gown.




The clean atmosphere only added to the serenity of the mosque.













This display showed the Quran in many different languages, even Vietnamese.


Children's classrooms below




The Makam Pahlawan is the burial place for many Malaysian leaders and politicians.







No comments:

Post a Comment