Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Year-End Reflections




2012, where did you go? This time last year I was helping Douglas pack his bags for MSG (Marine Security Guard) School. Excited, nervous, and anxious about the unknown, we prepared for his departure on New Year’s Day. For the next two months I practically sat on pins and needles waiting to receive confirmation that he passed the school. That confirmation would determine the next three years of our lives. Would we remain in the fleet stateside or would we relocate overseas and join an MSG detachment? We were pulling for the latter, but either way change was brewing for the Hardee family.

Finally, the highly anticipated day had arrived. February 24th Douglas graduated from MSG School as a brand new Detachment Commander. He changed jobs and I resigned from mine; both were bittersweet transitions. Our new journey was about to take off full speed. In less than 30 days we packed up our home, said our good-byes, and found ourselves in the Savannah Airport waiting to board a flight that would carry us across the world to Algiers, Algeria in North Africa.

This wasn’t exactly the type of country we hand in mind for our tour overseas. We pictured something a bit more glamorous, or rather a glamorous picture was painted for us. I remember going through an emotional rollercoaster, uneasy about how I would adjust to such a severe change in lifestyle. For a while I put on the strong face. You know that face and attitude that says, “I can do anything. I got this!” Well, a couple weeks before we left I had my breakdown. The breakdown that makes you question everything and wonder whether or not you can actually do this. Thankfully my dear husband and wonderful friend who was a seasoned Marine Corps spouse told me I could do this. Now I find myself thanking God every day because I am doing this and doing it well!

As of December 25th, we have been in Algeria for nine months. In that short time we have traveled to different countries (Italy, Germany, and Spain) that otherwise would have been unrealistic to ever be able to visit. We have ventured throughout this country and have seen parts of the world that many never knew existed. We have expanded our perception of reality. We have adjusted to a dramatically different environment. We have embraced our exposure to a new culture and their way of living. We have a new understanding of the difference between necessities and luxuries. We have discovered hidden strengths and talents within ourselves. We have developed a stronger sense of love and respect for one another. We have welcomed change and the unknown. And we have done all these things together with optimistic minds and faithful hearts.

Each experience I’ve gone through since landing in Algeria has contributed to my renewed outlook on life and possibility. I started this journey with the intention of tapping into my purpose in this world. We all have one. In Algiers I have learned that my purpose goes beyond my abilities. Just because I can do a job well doesn’t mean that is the job I am supposed to be doing. I can happily say that in only nine months I’ve learned more about myself and my purpose in life than I ever did before. I’m even happier to say that I have barely scratched the surface of what I will learn and am capable of doing.  

I have great hope for the future. No matter where I land or if I may fall, this past year has taught me that regardless of my environment or circumstances, I can create greatness. Thank you 2012 for reminding me that with unwavering faith there is nothing I cannot do. I remain optimistic for the experiences that lie ahead in 2013. I don’t look toward the new year for what it will give me. I’m going into the new year with intentions of what I will bring to it, all the while leaving plenty of room to continually embrace new opportunities, learn more lessons, and take full advantage of God’s many blessings. Living life on the edge, not afraid of where I may fall.

Wishing my family, friends, and all my blog followers a new year that will knock you off your feet!

Au revoir, 2012!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't believe its already been almost a year!! Geesh time flies!

    ReplyDelete