Thursday, January 24, 2013

Attacks in Our Country



The following information is of public knowledge; therefore, I am only repeating news that may be found on the internet by clicking on links such as: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5774.html and http://diplopundit.net/2013/01/20/us-embassy-algeria-now-on-authorized-departure-for-family-members/

Recently there was a terrorist attack on a British Oil Company in Amenas, Algeria. This event caused the embassy to take immediate action. U.S. security officials and others worked tirelessly around the clock for several days straight to respond appropriately and implement their plans to keep Americans safe. Although this incident occurred across the country from where Algiers is located, we are greatly feeling its effects. There is now a kidnapping threat throughout the country of Algeria against all Westerners. This has caused the embassy to move into an authorized state of departure, which means leaving the country is optional for all family members and non-essential personnel.

The current chain of events has had a domino effect on our travel plans outside the country. Douglas and I had a trip to London planned. We would have been leaving today, January 24th and staying there for one week. Our trip has now been cancelled due to this situation. They cannot afford to have any necessary personnel away at this time, and we all know our Marines are very necessary. I was told that I could still go, but I would have to receive authorization to come back into the country. Since I’m not essential personnel there is a chance I would be denied re-entry. Quite frankly, leaving without my husband was never an option for me. I don’t plan to return to the states unless an ordered evacuation arises and I surely don’t plan to explore London while leaving him behind. We are a team, period! The downside to all this is not so much that we don’t get to visit London, but more so that our flight and hotel bookings are non-refundable. Fortunately, Douglas and I both view money the same. Money does have value to us, but not great personal value; therefore, we need not mourn its loss. We do believe it will be replaced and multiplied when given back to us in the future. So, no use crying over spilled milk.

While living in America I would hear of such horror stories and feel bad for all those involved. However, it never really hit home because I was not directly affected. Now, living as an American in a foreign country where there is a threat on my life and other Americans, I am greatly affected by the situation. So too are our family members and friends back home. We have received several phone calls, emails, and messages inquiring about our safety. You don’t truly walk freely at home unless all others across the world walk freely too.

I am a bit of an adventurous person, but coming to this post I knew I would need to temper my venturesome spirits. Although I have not experienced any situation where my life has been in imminent danger while traveling about the city, I still take caution wherever I go. I am very aware of my surroundings when I go out. I walk with eyes all around me, observing if I’m being followed or watched. Both those things have happened to me. Anytime I go out in town, eyes are always on me. I assume it is because I’m black and, well, you can count the number of black people in Algiers on two hands. I know most look at me strangely simply because I do not look like them, probably the same way I may look at a woman wearing a full Hijab, covering her entire body from head to toe. That’s odd, so I get it. But the experience I had while grocery shopping with a friend a few months ago was much more unique. Two gentlemen appeared to follow us as we went in and out of nearly every aisle in the grocery store. It was a bit creepy, but I ignored it, trying not to draw more attention to myself. My friend told me I should confront them and tell them to stop following us. That may have been the worst advice I ever received. She was smart, but even smart people can have some not-so-smart ways at times.

Currently we have been advised to travel in pairs; no one should go anywhere alone. I typically have a driver take me grocery shopping by myself. This past weekend I had to bring Douglas along – not the ideal trip any husband ever wants to take with his wife. Douglas got to see exactly what I go through while shopping. I usually say to him that going grocery shopping in this city feels like a bad excursion. Despite my sarcasm, he knew exactly what I meant by the time we got done. It took us nearly four hours to go to three different venues for groceries. The longest part of the journey is the jammed packed traffic on the roads with no street lights or stop signs. The one advantage to having Douglas with me, besides helping to ensure my safety, was having someone to chat with during the journey.

It doesn’t feel good to fear doing normal things like grocery shopping, walking around, or sightseeing. I try my very best to focus on not feeling that way while outside the embassy grounds. Subconsciously though, when threats such as the ones above are made, you can’t help but to have your guard up and eyes wide open.

I do believe that this too shall pass, as with everything else. In the meantime, we remain having a positive and optimistic attitude. We cannot control being under significant security restrictions, we cannot control the cancellation of our trip, nor can we control the threats that are against us, but we can control our responses to these circumstances. There are two main views from where we stand. One leaves us standing guarded in our homes or traveling in pairs, the other conveys our lives as abundantly blessed and pretty darn good. We choose to focus on the latter view. Living life to its fullest, even when life doesn’t go our way.


No comments:

Post a Comment