Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First Week Pampering Experience



The embassy has a check-in sheet with specific department heads that new employees meet with to receive briefings. Spouses are included on several of those meetings. While Douglas had his appointments, I created my own list of venues to visit.

Our sponsors and several other ladies at the embassy told me about the inexpensive pampering treatments they receive here, most of which occur on a weekly basis. I was excited to begin my “Nicole check-in” process. My first stop was Sofitel. Inside this beautiful hotel is a place called Lan’s Salon where you can get your hair and nails done. It came highly recommended (as did each place I visited). I was admittedly skeptical upon entering the salon. I saw no signs of nail polish or a spa chair in sight. The staff was very kind and directed me to sit in a chair that looked like it was more for shoe shining. The ladies then brought out the at-home foot bath tub and placed it underneath my legs. I thought to myself, I can do this at home! I later discovered the use of a foot bath is very normal in Hanoi. Most places do not have the typical spa chairs we’re accustomed to in America. One lady did my pedicure and the other my manicure. They used O.P.I. nail polish and had several colors to choose from. Their work was great! Almost three weeks later, my pedicure is still intact! The mani/pedi cost $22. I paid an additional $10 to receive extra foot treatment. I’d say the prices are cheaper or at least comparable to most in the States.

My next stop was Yakushi Holistic Health Clinic. They had an extensive list of massages to choose from. Yakushi has received rave reviews due to their excellent work, outstanding customer service, and onsite physician who often gives free consultations. You receive a massage by people who are trained at the skill and certified to offer advice on specific massages recommended for many ailments. I opted for the acupressure/aromatherapy 90-minute massage. My masseuse was a teeny weeny lady named Twee. She was incredibly sweet. Twee may have been tiny, but man was she strong! During the beginning of the massage she asked me if I would like it harder or softer. I had to say softer a few times because she was digging into my muscles like nobody’s business! I’ll have to build up to that kind of pressure. She worked on my body for the full 90 minutes. When I was finished my bill was $15. There is absolutely nowhere in the States that you will get a GOOD 90-minute massage for that price, if you can get one at all. Yet another luxury of Hanoi.

My final stop was Thu Cuc Exotical Spa. This place offered everything - facials, acne treatments, spa packages, body treatments, waxing, full body scrubs, manicures, pedicures, tattoo treatments, and hair treatments. One evening after work I went with a group of ladies from the embassy to receive a facial. I had the Skin Care with Vitamin E facial. It lasted 60 minutes and included a head, shoulder, and upper back massage. My bill was $17 and my face face felt fabulous afterwards.

The next time I visit these venues I’ll be sure to snap some photos. Hopefully then I will be with Douglas so he too can enjoy a relaxing massage and maybe a manicure too. I’ve been trying to convince him to do it at least once. Maybe now he will give it a whirl since it’s super cheap. I could definitely get used to this kind of treatment at these prices. It’s no wonder most women at the embassy have recurring appointments. However, I will not be pampering myself as often as they do. Even inexpensive luxuries add up. Douglas and I don’t want to spend our vacation money on luxuries that can be done anytime. Everything in moderation. We’re just happy we have this as an option to moderate!

8 comments:

  1. Tell that son of mine that I WILL PAY FOR HIS FIRST MASSAGE AND PEDICURE because I know it will change his life!!!!We are so happy that you choose to spoil yourself....You Deserve every minute of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let him know! He'll be hooked in no time!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you have found these wonderful deals, and can I say I need them alllll!! Sounds like im missing out, wish it could be mailed to me. Lol, enjoy, take care and love yall. Spank aka- Darlyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could bring all this back the States with me! I will enjoy it for you! LOL

      Delete
  3. Hey Nicole,
    What fun! I, too, am glad that you are able to take advantage of what your new duty station has to offer. What an experience you both are having. Enjoy! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, there are definitely some amazing opportunities here and I'm trying to take advantage of as many as I can! :)

      Delete
  4. Totally jealous of your massage and facial under $20! Lol. I'm very happy to see that even though this was supposed to be a hard duty station, so far it seems that is overrated! Hopefully, things will continue to be as smooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything happens for a reason and right now I'm very happy Hanoi happened to us! Thanks for your support as always! :)

      Delete