Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Three Generations of Women




During our transition from Algiers to Hanoi, Douglas and I had a quick visit in the States. I was excited when I found out we would be in Virginia. I got to see my mom the last two times we were in the States, but I didn’t get to see my grandma. When I did plan a trip to visit my grandma, I had a death in the family and I was unable to get to her. I guess the third time is a charm!

When I was younger, my parents always took me to Virginia to visit my grandma in the country. Being a city girl from The Bronx, I never enjoyed the country atmosphere. At the time I felt it was too slow, too boring, and that we stayed too long. The only part I favored was spending time with my grandma. I can remember those summers like it way yesterday. I would usually stay anywhere between two to three weeks. One summer I was there for nearly six weeks. Everything I did at my grandma’s house was routine.  My grandma usually found her way outside to do yard work with the produce she planted while I stayed inside. I just could not tolerate the bugs. At 11:00 am we sat on the sofa and watched The Price Is Right. Immediately following that were the soap operas. I never did like soap operas. That was my grandma’s thing. There was also only one television in the house, so whether I liked it or not, that is what we were watching. Early in the morning or mid-afternoon we went to visit her friends in the neighborhood or drove to Lawrenceville or Emporia where we went to the library, bank, dry cleaners, Peebles clothing store, Food Lion, or McDonald’s for a treat. Some days we would visit her friends from the church and other family members. At night we made our way to the sofa by 7:00 pm to watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Once or twice a week, we went to church at night for Bible Study or some other church function. You could guarantee that every Sunday we were in church from early morning to late afternoon. I always looked forward to Sunday dinner (or rather, dessert). My grandma often fixed her famous sweet potato pies or that delicious corn pudding. That was how I spent my quiet summer weeks in Virginia with my grandma. Our routine was pretty simple.

As a child I had no appreciation for those experiences, but as an adult I can see such great value. I am so thankful my mother didn’t give me an option to go to Virginia each summer. Now, I treasure those memories and look forward to spending time in the country with my grandma and my mom, now that she's moved there. Living in a city where there was never any silence, I did not know how to function without busyness around me. Fast forward to the present and I could not function with busyness around me. I still do not go outside much. My annoyance of bugs and all other insects that come with the outdoors has not yet changed. But the calmness and serenity that I have found in the country brings me such peace and happiness. I find great joy in its simplicity. Who would have known?

I feel very blessed to have such a beautiful mother and grandmother. Both women have always given and shown me enormous love. In so many ways I can see how my mom is just like my grandma, as in many ways I am just like my mom. Oftentimes, daughters try not to be like their mothers in every way, but I am happy with certain similarities I share with them both. I am who I am because of them, and I can happily say I like who I am.   

As I have gotten older, there have been fewer opportunities to see my grandma and mom as much as I would like. Distance is not a friend. With oceans between us, our time together is limited. Gatherings once or twice a year will never feel like enough, but I maximize those moments as much as possible. Each time we get together I pop out my camera and snap away. Pictures are a beautiful visual reminder of the memories that live in our hearts and minds. I believe they can tell their own story and will be useful when I am not around to share it for myself. I decided to do something different during this visit. Instead of taking casual photos around the house I wanted to take some more professional photos. However, my grandma is 95 and it would be too much on her to go to a studio for pictures. Thus, we brought the studio to her. I recently got Douglas a new digital camera for his birthday. He had been anxious to put it to use and this was the perfect time! Thank you to my sweet husband for jumping at the task of being our photographer. You did a great job!

To my grandma and mom...I will treasure our moments together forever - every laugh, every smile, every conversation, and every outing. I take none of it for granted. I love you both dearly and I thank you both for showing me what beautiful spirits look like. I am exceedingly proud to come from women of the Harris, Walton, and Bright families. If God should bless me with a daughter one day, I hope she too will be so proud to come from this beautiful line of women that will then include the Hardees.


In the background is a picture of my great-grandmother



I'm in awe of their similar features







Grandma has the most adorable smile



I just love this picture. Grandma just dropped her head into my chest and I thought oh how the tables have turned. How sweet!


One of my favorites...






4 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean about those trips to the country. Thank god you still have the opportunity to still cherish and appreciate it now. The pics are great. Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenelle, I am very fortunate. Thanks so much! Hope all is well with you too.

      Delete
  2. I totally have the same appreciation for the country now too. As a child I hated it but I'm finding that there are aspects of it I love now. Your family is beautiful and these pics are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way our perspectives change as we get older is a beautiful thing! Thanks girl!

      Delete