Monday, November 10, 2014

Bangkok: Third Time's a Charm


Bangkok has now started to feel like my second home. I have established my favorite eateries for delicious Thai cuisine – and Mexican too if I have a craving. I know the best malls for shopping and can easily access them via train, taxi, or on foot. I am very familiar with at least two of the BTS Sky Train lines. I have found the best grocery stores, including a few gourmet supermarkets for local and western goods. I even know the normal rates for taxis and can tell when they are attempting to rip me off. Perhaps my fondness with Bangkok is its familiarity to my hometown of New York City. Both places share many similarities, and since I am a city girl at heart it does not take me long to figure out my way around a big city.

Last month I went to Bangkok for the third time which made it my fourth time in Thailand in less than fifteen months. Back in 2001 I thought it would be the coolest thing to visit Thailand after reading the book and watching the movie “Brokedown Palace.” It just seemed so far beyond my reach as a college student at the time, I shrugged the idea off as unrealistic. I am almost certain that God was laughing the whole time or even shaking His head, because He knew what He had in store for me. There have been too many moments to count along my journey on the Marine Security Guard (MSG) program when the wildest thoughts I imagined in the past have come to fruition. It is unbelievable to even think about let alone live. I am so grateful though, so very grateful. Because of these moments I know that nothing is impossible, nothing is too far out of reach, and our minds are so powerful that they can sway us to believe or not believe in anything we conceive. This program has shown me just how powerful my thoughts can become. So yes, having been to Thailand several times during my short stay in Asia is something I do not take lightly.

In September, Douglas and I went to Bangkok for some training he had to participate in. We stayed there for five days and took advantage of each moment during our trip. While Douglas was working I spent a great deal of time with the other spouses who had also joined their husbands on the trip. I had been to several of the tourist sites during my first trip there in August 2013, so this time I decided to stay in the local area and simply enjoy walking around the city, shopping, eating plenty of Thai food, and experiencing Thailand’s capital as an expat or perhaps even a local. It was awesome!

One venue I had my heart set on visiting again was Chatuchak Weekend Market. It is only open on Saturday and Sunday and it’s one of the world’s largest weekend markets. It’s impossible to list all that you can buy there because they have some of everything! The best part is that all items are sold for extremely cheap prices compared to what one would pay elsewhere and bargaining is expected. If any readers ever decide to visit Bangkok, be sure your vacation dates include a weekend. You will not regret it!

There were a few nights where Douglas and I met up for dinner with members of the Region Command in Bangkok, along with all the Marines and spouses that flew in for the week. One thing I have noticed since being on this program is that there is absolutely nothing like getting together with fellow Marine Corps spouses and Marines. It is always incredibly refreshing. It is wonderful to be around people who can relate to your lifestyle. Although we have met some fantastic people who work for the Department of State while overseas, our lives are far from similar and often that can create a barrier in terms of understanding and communication. Times like this are something most spouses on the program grow to treasure. I sure do.

It is unlikely we will travel to Bangkok or any other part of Thailand during our remaining time in Hanoi, although I would not be disappointed if another work-related duty called Douglas there just one more time.  I am happy we got to experience you, Bangkok – not once, not twice, but three times! Wild ideas in our heads can become actual moments in our lives. Never place a limit on your dreams.  

  
Thai Airways - I matched the seats.




Taxi driver collects foreign currency too. Thailand is also a country that drives on the left side of the road. All of the cars are right-side drive. That takes some getting used to.






Conrad Hotel  - We just love this place. Superb location, excellent customer service, terrific breakfast, and wonderful benefits when staying on the Executive floors.


Executive Lounge


Drinks while we wait to be checked in.












Bangkok has plenty of colorful taxis like this one.


Public transportation is the way to go with all the traffic in this city. It's extremely affordable and convenient.






Even in Thailand I still flock to the stationary section in any store. I love pens and paper!


Hmmm....


I need this at home - how fun?!?


Chatuchak Weekend Market


Never been a fan of street meat, especially what may or may not be an animal I've ever eaten.


Fresh cold fruit for less than a dollar while you walk around. Yes please!


Mango Sticky Rice - My favorite Asian dessert. Easily the biggest mangoes ever. They were like footballs.




This store had all sorts of wonderful scents that would be perfect for home or office.


"How much baht do we have???" My husband loves his accessories.






Handmade bags. Put in your order, shop for an hour, and pick it up before you leave.





They actually had a pair of flip flops that fit my feet.


Unfortunately, they did not have a pair to feet Douglas' feet - not surprising! I cannot seem to stop my husband from looking at every shoe vendor we pass in hopes that someone will carry a size 12 or 13. Babe....it's not gonna happen in Asia!



They hate to do it but the answer is always the same: Sorry, we no have for you.


No joke - if you want it, it's probably available at this market!


A pretty hip paella spot with music and booze. Plenty of Westerners, naturally.


DJ as well




This Paella was so good it could almost rival that of the dishes we had in Spain. Delicious!


This restaurant was so good we ate here twice.


Thai soups are my favorite thus far.




Pineapple Fried Rice


Rooftop of Sky Bar in Central World




Marine spouses of Region 3


Region 3 Marines and Detachment Commanders


No comments:

Post a Comment