Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Executive Dinner, Welcome Aboard Social, and a Baby Shower


It was the beginning of our third week in Algiers. We were looking forward to a few upcoming events. I almost felt like I was back in the states because I actually had a schedule conflict for the first time. Can you believe that? A schedule conflict already! We were slated to have an executive dinner on Monday, April 16th, a welcome aboard social on Thursday, April 19th, a group tour to the historic park in central Algiers (Jardin D’Essai), and a baby shower -  both on Friday, April 20th.  Since the group tour would occur again during my stay here, I chose to attend the baby shower instead. That was sure to be an exciting week!

The structure of all United States Embassies across the world all run the same way. In order to maintain operational security, I will refrain from listing the names of each person currently holding the stated positions. At the very top you have the U.S. Ambassador. Below the Ambassador is the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM). Then you have your Regional Security Officer (RSO). The RSO controls security not only on the compound, but off as well. This individual determines the safe and unsafe areas for DoD and DoS Americans to travel. As well, they decide which residences the DoS will have contracts with to house all Americans assigned to Algiers. Below the RSO is the Detachment Commander (DetCmdr). The DetCmdr is an active duty United States Marine. The DetCmdr is in charge of a detachment of up to six Marines assigned to this post. His job and that of his Marines are to protect all classified information belonging to the United States. Additionally, there are several other departments that make up the embassy. Ultimately they all follow the guideline set by the Ambassador and aim to meet his mission.

During the first two weeks Douglas and I had the opportunity to meet with several of the embassy staff. Every person has been friendly, welcoming, and very helpful. The DCM was especially nice and invited us over to her residence for dinner. We were thrilled! This was going to be our first executive dinner. The date was set for Monday, April 16th at 6:30 p.m. To our advantage, the DCM’s home is so close to ours, I could toss a rock directly into one of her many back windows. I did not opt to do that simply to prove a point, but it was tempting.

I wasn’t quite sure what to wear for dinner. Merely from seeing the DCM a few times during my visits to the embassy, I could tell she was a sharp dresser. Every day her outfits upstaged the previous day’s selection. It seems like her purse, accessories, shoes and jewelry are all carefully chosen to coordinate properly with one another. She stands at almost 6 feet tall and is a true fashionista. I have my days where it looks like a stylist may have assisted me in putting my ensemble together, but then I also have days when it looks like I got assistance from “Plain Jane.” Sometimes it feels like a lot of work to look perfectly put together everywhere I go. That is a talent many women possess, but I’m not one of them. I looked in the closet and chose a pair of black slacks with a silky, colorful, short sleeved top that accentuated my bust line. Since it was pouring rain that day I went with my black 1¼-inch shoe boots and a white belted rain jacket that was starting to look too big for me. I accessorized with my trademark hoop earrings, necklace, watch and of course, my wedding rings. My husband walked in from work, grabbed a shirt and pair of khaki pants out the closet, ironed them and was ready to go. Sometimes I hate that men can start getting dressed far after us ladies, yet manage to be done before us with ample time to spare. And we’re still trying to decide which pair of shoes goes best with our outfit.

One minute later and we were inside the DCM’s private residence. Past the front door is a beautiful center way filled with plants, trees and gorgeous flowers. Douglas and I paused for a minute to determine which way to go to get to the front door. Fortunately, there was a man exiting one of the doors on the property, probably one of the local Algerians working at the embassy. The man was kind enough to guide us to the entrance of the home. We were greeted by the DCM’s husband. He took us to hang our wet jackets and umbrella inside the coat closet. As we were casually chatting the DCM entered the home. “Well hello. Can I join you all for dinner?” she said with a laugh. The DCM was just arriving home from work. The job of a DCM is almost always never done and free time is a far stretch of the imagination. Since she just walked in, she headed upstairs to get in some comfortable clothes and footwear. 

Everyone who knew we were going to the DCM’s house for dinner that evening informed us we would first start off with a tour of the house. They were correct. While the DCM was upstairs changing, her husband took Douglas and I on a tour around their home. It appeared as though we were in a castle. In order to preserve the privacy of their home and air on the side of caution, as to not breach any operational security, I will have to leave the description of their residence to your imagination. I can say that it’s large, historic, and picturesque. The architect responsible for the designs paid very close attention to each and every minute detail.

Before having dinner we started off the evening with a few appetizers and some casual conversation inside a large open-spaced room, conveniently arranged for gatherings. From talking with the DCM, I can immediately see that she is extremely smart, incredibly familiar with the inner workings of this compound and the Algerian society, and that she is quite genuine. She and her husband showed immense interest in getting to know Douglas and me. At moments she was at the edge of the sofa, leaning in to eagerly hear more about our stories. We were so comfortable, for a while we forgot we were sitting with the Deputy Chief of Mission for Algiers.

After thirty to forty minutes passed, we moved into the dining room to commence dinner. There are many perks to being the DCM. I think the best one is the luxury of having a personal chef. The cook was not present that evening, but he fixed the meal during the day and left instructions for how it should be prepared for serving. It was a three-course meal that was absolutely delicious. We started with turkey, mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini topped with a thin white sauce. Once we finished, salads were brought out. I could care less for salads that simply have lettuce, one cucumber and two slices of tomatoes. It’s so bare. This salad, on the other hand, was completely opposite. It was well put together with a good variety of vegetables. Lastly, dessert was served. The chef made vanilla custard with pureed strawberries poured on top. The dish was a perfect ending to a flawless meal.  Everything was scrumptious! If only it were tactful to bring a camera to an executive dinner and take pictures of each course. We would have been sure to be the topic of their bedtime discussion and not in a good way.

The four of us headed back into the previous room and chatted a bit before wrapping up the evening. It was getting late. Both Douglas and the DCM had to get up early the next day for work. The entire night was lovely; a great experience and a delightful meal. They made us feel exceedingly welcomed in their home and to the embassy. We gathered our belongings, praised them and the chef with our thanks, and said our good-byes. I would say our first executive dinner was a tremendous success.

The embassy community will take any event, big or small, and turn it into a party. It’s protocol to welcome the new Detachment Commander and his family to the embassy by holding a Welcome Aboard get-together on compound. Most events take place at the Marine Security Guard Residence (MSGR). All Marines at post, except for the DetCmdr, live together in this vast house. They have a significantly large space and fully equipped bar to host parties for a substantial number of people. The Marines did everything to organize and advertise for our Welcome Aboard. It was set to take place on Thursday, April 19th at 6:30 p.m. We appreciated the gesture and were looking forward to meeting more embassy personnel.

To our advantage again, the MSGR was also a short walk from our residence. We dressed casually, as we didn’t know what to expect. We were the first ones to arrive. Sauntering into the MSGR, we noticed a sign-in book to keep a record of all guests in the house, a large red pool table, a fully stocked bar, and several sofas. It looks as though this residence was designed for such gatherings. Since Douglas and I were the only ones there, we began a game of pool. I have never played, but the game has always piqued my interest. Also, I figured because no one was around, I could play without publicly embarrassing myself. Douglas assembled the balls and set them up for me to take the break shot. Just from the way I held the pool stick, one could tell I was a newbie. It took me two tries for the pool stick to make contact with the cue ball and then three more tries for that ball to make sufficient contact with the rack. Douglas shook his head and was probably glad no one else was there to watch either. Surprisingly I knocked three object balls in the pockets and thought I was doing pretty well for my first time. Then Douglas shut me down by telling me that each ball I hit was solid and those belonged to him. I said, “What? You didn’t tell me we had on our own balls. No fair!” Douglas dropped his head and walked towards the door to greet our first guest.  



Over the next hour several people arrived and more were on the way. Alcohol, music, two pies of pizza and a lot of people; it definitely felt like a party. We had a blast! Even the DCM and Ambassador made an appearance to show their support. It was nice to see everyone outside the work environment and really get to see their true personalities. A little alcohol and music usually brings out the real side in us all. Douglas and I finessed our way through the crowd, making a point to speak to each person and thank them for coming. During my conversations, I received some terrific suggestions and tips. As I was speaking with one lady, our discussion transitioned from talking about her job at the embassy to helpful hints on ordering pork products. My eyes widened with excitement. Although I don’t care for pork, my husband loves it. I was taking mental notes just for him. The lady said there is a website called Virginia Traditions which sells an assortment of pork products. They carry a variety of smoked bacon, sausage patties and links, country and honey hams, pulled pork, pork roast, ribs, pork chops, beef brisket, turkey breast, crab cakes, oysters and even soups, nuts, and desserts. This was a one-stop shop for meat and sweet lovers all around. I could already envision the big smile on Douglas’ face as I listed the foods he would soon have available. She said this site was awesome because you can choose from uncooked and cooked products. Of course, we only want cooked items. Anything uncooked will go bad before it reaches us in Algiers. The lady said as long as we purchase items that are semi-perishable or non-perishable, then they would be fine upon arrival. We just need to refrigerate or freeze them right away. Perfect!

Before I could wrap my arms around the woman to give her a great big bear hug for sharing such valuable information with me, she started to ask me a question. Knowing the answer before she posed the question, the woman said, “Do you miss having the choice of buying cheddar cheese?” I thought to myself, “She is reading my mind!” The week prior I wanted to make macaroni and cheese. While shopping with my sponsor, Giovanna, she informed me that regular cheddar cheese is not sold in Algiers and proceeded to show me possible substitutes. However, someone told me many Americans use the shelved box of Velveeta cheese to make their baked macaroni. I absolutely hate the taste of Velveeta cheese. It’s overly processed and way too rich. I couldn’t imagine baking a macaroni dish with that. I quickly replied, “Yes, I wish I could find some fresh cheddar cheese.” She then told me there is a website called Cabot Cheese that sells an assortment of cheeses. Their products include cheddar cheeses consisting of smooth, sharp, extra sharp and seriously sharp. They also offer specialty cheese, reduced fat cheddar and flavored cheddar cheeses. It was a cheese lovers heaven. The woman continued to say that all these items can be ordered but only during the cool months. They will never make it once summer hits. Therefore, her timing was perfect. If I placed an order the following week, which I did, then our meat and cheeses should arrive safely without going bad or melting. This Welcome Aboard was off to a remarkable start, although I’m not sure the intention of the event was not for me to spend thirty minutes discussing tips on ordering my favorite types of meat and cheese.

The night was moving along nicely. I saw many familiar faces and met new ones too. I started chatting with the RSO about physical activities. One of the Marines had a P90X box on a table which led us discussing physical activity. The RSO then mentioned that Zumba was one of her favorite aerobic classes while living in the states. She got so good her teacher recommended she become an instructor. To the embassy's advantage, the RSO decided to follow through with that suggestion and will begin teaching Zumba classes once a week at the Community Recreation Center on compound. She also told me that another staff member teaches Yoga once a week in the evening and the woman is superb. The RSO said her classes are always crowded. I couldn’t believe it; the embassy had more fitness options besides the gym. I planned to attend both Yoga and Zumba starting the following week.

It was nearing 9:30 p.m. and most people had already left. There were a few individuals that lingered around the bar, but other than that the house was almost empty. After a few minutes the Marines lowered the music volume; subtle yet obvious hint that the event was over. The night came to an end around 10:00 p.m. I shared my new findings with Douglas and he was eager to get home and check out Virginia Traditions, of course. To no surprise, he didn’t convey as much excitement about the cheese. I may have spent the majority of time conversing about where to buy coveted food products and what new fitness classes were being held, but the Welcome Aboard was still a huge success and lots of fun. 

The next morning Douglas and I enjoyed the beauty of sleeping in, since it was the first day of the weekend. Although I don’t have to be somewhere by a specific time every morning as Douglas does, I still wake up with him to start my day. I have never been one to sleep late anyway. And even without having a job, there is no way I could allow my body to sleep the entire morning, simply wasting my time. But I look forward to the weekend when I can just curl up in the bed with my husband to play, laugh, and talk, amongst other things, and enjoy his company. That is indeed the best part of my days - waking up and falling asleep beside him.

We have not come up with a normal weekend routine yet because thankfully each weekend we have had different things to do. That afternoon I had plans to go to a baby shower, while Douglas was going to work. One of the ladies working at the embassy is due to give birth next month. Her name is Dalila. She is both Algerian and American. Dalila grew up in Algiers, but also has family in the states. She has two other children, but both were born in the U.S. This would be her first child born in Algiers. Unlike Americans, Algerians do not celebrate the expectancy of a baby by throwing a baby shower. Therefore, it was a surprise to Dalila’s local Algerian friends working at the embassy when they heard she was having a baby shower that would be given by her Italian friend, Giovanna. Since Giovanna is my sponsor and befriended me upon arrival, she introduced me to several of her friends, including Dalila. We had lunch a few times and hit it off. She is a very genuine person, and we both enjoy each other’s company. After a few meetings, Dalila asked Giovanna to invite me the baby shower. I was honored, as we just met and the baby shower was only for her close friends. That was very kind of her and it gave me something else to look forward to that weekend.

The baby shower was being held at Giovanna’s house, a few minutes away from the compound. It started at 1:00 p.m. After Douglas and I got in plenty of quality time with each other and ate breakfast, I went to get dressed for the shower. This baby shower would be different than any that I attended in the states. Giovanna decided to give the shower a “Sex and the City” theme. On the invitation she requested that everyone wear their best dress or dress accordingly. What a great idea! It was original and took away the monotony found in most baby showers. Fortunately, I packed a couple dresses in my suitcase just in case an event like this came up. I didn’t expect to wear it to a baby shower, but that is the beauty in always being prepared for the unexpected. I slipped on my floral-printed turquoise, black and white summer dress, covered up my arms with a short sleeved black cardigan and completed the outfit with three-inch black, peep toe pair of shoes.

I was the first one to arrive at Giovanna’s house. Everything looked beautiful - the decorations, mixture of food, and entire set-up. Giovanna spent months preparing for it by ordering all the necessary items online. She even brought back a special parmesan cheese from her visit to Rome the week prior. After a few minutes people began to arrive. All the ladies looked fabulous in their outfits. Undoubtedly, Dalila looked the best. She had on a gorgeous, long black dress with her small baby bump and pregnancy breast as accessories. As she entered the room we showered her with compliments. On her way over, Dalila was careful to cover herself appropriately. It’s not normal for women to expose so much of their breast, or any part of their body for that matter, especially on their holy day. It was Friday during the time of prayer. 


 

Dalila was astonished to see the arrangements. Giovanna outdid herself. Even though the shower was for a small group, you could not tell from the large spread of food. We all had a good time while eating, playing games, socializing, and celebrating Dalila’s expectancy. As always, I was curious to know more about Algerian traditions. I asked if Algerians do anything to celebrate pregnancies. Dalila said in the Algerian culture they throw a huge party for the baby after it is born. It usually occurs three to four weeks after giving birth. She said all the plans are made prior to the baby arriving, because the mother has no time to prepare anything once the child is here. Dalila said the event is so big that typically it’s held in a ballroom or similar sized venue. All family members, friends, and the community are invited to attend. She also mentioned another customary tradition regarding children. If an Algerian has a baby boy, the mother does not have him circumcised right away at the hospital, as we typically do in America. The circumcision is also celebrated by throwing a large party. The family members sing and dance while the boy is being circumcised in another room. And it usually does not happen during the newborn stage. It was very interesting to hear the difference in their customs and traditions surrounding the birth of a baby and days to follow. The conversation could have continued further but it was time to open gifts.

Dalila received several gifts including toys, clothes, and even a large diaper cake. She was exceptionally pleased with the event and couldn’t wait to share pictures with her family and friends. Three hours flew by and before we knew it the baby shower was coming to an end. I thanked Dalila and Giovanna again for including me at the last minute. It was such a treat. And the “Sex and the City” theme was fantastic. I’m sure that will tickle the fancy of a few friends back home that are major “Sex and the City” fans or just love to have another reason to dress up. I phoned a driver to pick me up and returned home to spend the remainder of the day with Douglas.

My third week in Algiers was now over. It was pleasantly filled with great people, loads of entertainment, excellent discoveries, and enlightening experiences as always. Each day is an adventure; or rather, I will make an adventure out of each day.   

6 comments:

  1. Glad you too are having a good time, that Sex and the City baby shower idea is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lipstick Diva! You wouldn't believe it, but I thought about you when I found out the theme of the baby shower. I saw your post saying you're not interested in that sort of thing, which I understand, but if you change your mind this Sex in the City theme seems like it would be sooooooo YOU! Just a thought. :)

      Delete
    2. ooops....Sex and the City. I just caught my error and went back to correct my typos in the post! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's the beauty of it being MY blog....I can write as much as I want to! :)

      Delete