Friday, April 20, 2012

A New Perspective

The alarm clock blares - beep, beep, beep…it's 5:50 a.m. My eyes are hardly open but I know exactly where my alarm clock is placed. I reach my arms from underneath the covers and hit the clock several times before I manage to actually hit the snooze button. I place my hands back underneath the sheets and curl up, hoping that the next five minutes will feel more like fifteen. But five minutes later the alarm clock sounds again…beep, beep, beep…it is 5:55 a.m. I need to get out of bed, but I just don’t feel like it. I don’t necessarily have to be out of the house by 7:30 a.m.; I think I’ll sleep a little longer. I hit the snooze button again to try and capture five more minutes of sleep. Yesterday was exhausting. I just need a few more minutes. And this bed is incredibly comfortable. It feels like a magnet that will not let me loose. I roll over and place my head back onto the soft, plush pillow, hoping to tune out everything including that annoying alarm after sound. Already it’s 6:00 a.m. and I the alarm sounds again…beep, beep, beep. I hit the alarm for the last time and turn it off so that it doesn’t beep again. I rub my eyes while yawning, as my mouth opens as wide as possible. I stretch and nearly five minutes later, I make my way out of bed.

In Algiers I no longer have an alarm to wake up to, as I have no need to be up by a specific time. Naturally I’m a morning person, so I’m usually up by 7:00 a.m. It feels different to wake up without having a specific place to go that day. It’s not until you no longer have anything precise to wake up for, when you will then miss what you once woke up for every day.

I now wake up to the sounds of my husband's alarm set on his cell phone. We cannot use an alarm clock here, as the clocks are incapable of keeping time due to the different voltage. It’s recommended to use a battery operated clock instead.

I head to the bathroom and begin my morning routine. Wash my face, take a shower or freshen up, brush my teeth while running the sink water, and then remove by bedtime scarf from my head. Next, I enter the closet to choose my clothing for the day. I was too tired to prepare my outfit the night before. Depending on my mood that morning, I will stand in my closet for several minutes considering a few things such as:  what doesn’t need to be ironed, what doesn’t require me to wear stockings or some sort of tight undergarment, what doesn’t require me to where obsessively high heel shoes, what doesn’t require too much coordination of accessories and most importantly, what does make me look 10 pounds slimmer than I did yesterday. On the other hand, if I wake up feeling great and full of energy, I usually choose an outfit that has lots of bright color, nicely fitted to accentuate my curves, and coordinating accessories and shoes that will put the finishing touches on my ensemble.  

In Algiers when I get out of bed to begin my morning routine, it is not all done inside the bathroom. I start out there to brush my teeth. Only I cannot use the water as easily as I did in the states. I must keep a filtered bottle of water by every sink to rinse my mouth with and clean my toothbrush after brushing. The water in Algiers is not safe to consume. Also, due to the harshness of the water it can have adverse reactions on your skin. Therefore, I go to the kitchen sink, boil some water and then place it in a bowl with cold filtered water and begin to wash my face. I have been told the water here can damage your skin, hair, and clothes. Since I used to have severe skin problems, I choose to air on the side of caution and only wash my face with filtered water to avoid possibly breaking out. In addition, before I left the states I purchased a filtered shower head to try and ensure that some type of purified water goes onto my skin and hair.

The water can also be a huge concern for parents with young children. Most kids love to take baths and play in the tub. During this time children often place their heads into the water and usually get some in their mouths. Parents must be sure to teach the children not to stick their tongue in the water and definitely not to swallow any. It’s pretty easy to explain to a first grader, but a little more difficult to convey to a two year old.

Many Algerians cannot afford a large wardrobe selection. Despite Algeria being a very rich country, most Algerians do not partake of that wealth. Algiers is a poor city in appearance. A closet for most of us in the states could dress an entire family here in Algiers. Also, women do not obsess with tight-fitting clothing. They usually wear something that is far less clingy, yet still beautiful. Several Algerian women have a great natural style.

I get dressed and go into the kitchen to make breakfast, which is my favorite meal of the day; however, many others do not feel the same way. Some people simply prepare a quick meal, or choose to eat something already packaged, such as a sweet pop-tart or calorie-packed muffin. Then there are others that will spend much of their money at their favorite deli or fast food restaurant to order crispy bacon or sausage, pancakes or french toast, scrambled eggs and potatoes, or a sandwich with many of these ingredients on it, as well as their favorite slice of cheese.  I opt to prepare my own breakfast. I enjoy a variety of things like a nice bowl of cereal, a side of toast with strawberry preserve, an omelet filled with spinach, bell peppers, turkey bacon and cheese, pancakes with pure maple syrup, bacon and cheese sandwich, creamy grits or a bowl of oatmeal, or a yogurt parfait with my favorite granola. There are so many options, and I can choose any that are to my liking. While eating I wash the meal of my choice down with a large glass of water and a small glass of Simply Orange Juice.  

Algerians rarely have such items in their pantries as the “so called” breakfast items we keep in our cabinets in the states. They do not go out to breakfast nearly as much, but may stop at the bakery store to purchase croissants or other types of breads. They eat pretty small portion sizes and most of the food in this city is quite lean. Their modified eating habits are the reason you will rarely find overweight children and adults in this city. Although, Algiers has a few bad habits to address. They love sweets so much that many of their specialty dishes or even pasta sauces are loaded with sugar. There is a high percentage of diabetics throughout the city.  

Algiers produces a large quantity of produce. It can easily be considered organic. Most of the fruits and vegetables are extremely ripe, juicy and fresh. Upon tasting it you can tell the difference from the fruit in certain parts of the states. The produce is even significantly cheaper than many places in the states too. The only downside about the produce is its lack of cleanliness. All fruits and vegetables must be cleaned thoroughly before consumption. Some people used a tablespoon of bleach solution, others will peel all skinned produce before consuming, and many will simply soak and rinse the produce with filtered water.  I can recall grocery shopping in the states and watching people eat un-rinsed grapes right in the store.

After eating I go back into the bathroom to plug in whichever electrical appliance I decide to use on my hair that morning. Then I place lotion on my face and maybe a hint of foundation to cover up one or two blemish marks. I’m not a huge makeup fan, but I know many who love to cake it on with various types of foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, mascara, eye shadow, glitter, and loud lipstick. Some do it for the fun of playing with make-up and others do it to hide their natural beauty that they don’t consider to be beautiful at all. Nonetheless, it’s a choice we have as individuals. I wrap everything up, gather my materials for work and take off for another eventful day.

In order to use any electrical appliances, I must plug them into a surge protector. That surge protector then has to be plugged into a transformer box to convert the voltage. The transformer box is then plugged into the wall. Upon arriving we plugged an electrical device straight into the transformer and turned it on. As soon as we did this, the appliance blew and it was destroyed. It feels odd to live in another country and not be able to use your everyday appliances or devices like you normally would in the states.

Women do not wear makeup in public. There are many reasons for this, but overall, makeup is seen as something to make you more attractive. In the Muslim faith that is looked down upon. This is also the reason why many Muslim women choose to wear a Hijab, which is a piece of cloth that covers their head and/or body. Some believe that make-up and the showing of your hair should only be done for your husband as he should be the one man you attract. Wearing a Hijab is of personal preference, but generally all Muslim women believe in the same concept that any highlights to their natural beauty should be done in private. It’s a great way to ensure that a man is mainly interested in you for qualities like ideas, attitudes, knowledge, personality and skills. As well, it’s a great self-esteem builder. I find it to be a very admirable way of life.   

I live in an area where a car is a necessity, opposed to other cities I’ve resided in that provide excellent or even sufficient forms of public transportation. I drove fifteen or twenty minutes to work every day. Thankfully I was no longer forced to deal with the headache of one or two hour commutes to work each way, as I did when living in New York, California, and Maryland.

There is a public transportation system in Algiers; however, it is not very ideal. Most buses do not keep a specific schedule. Driving leaves much to be desired as there are usually heavy amounts of traffic. The driving out here is extremely reckless and dangerous. Algiers has one of the highest rates of deaths caused by car accidents in the world. I would much rather drive amongst the aggressive New Yorkers or patiently deal with the constant L.A. traffic. Just when you think your situation is bad, you go somewhere else like Algeria and realize how good you had it.

Overall, I enjoyed my last job. I worked with a great group of people, I liked putting together various services to provide to others, I looked forward to creating new ideas for future events, I had fun hanging out with some of them on and off work, and I rarely watched the clock to count down the number of minutes left in my day. Unfortunately, I didn’t feel like that at every job I held. Sometimes I would arrive to work and already feel like I wanted to return home and go to bed. Over the course of the day I would chit-chat with fellow co-workers, work on my assigned tasks, prepare items for future projects, have lunch with co-workers – a few of which I didn’t like, but tolerated out of respect and then wrapped up any loose items to tackle again the next day. During much of those days I spent the majority of time thinking about how unhappy I was in that job, how I didn’t like the way I was being treated, what better things I could have been doing with my time, what other jobs I could apply for, or daydream about what things I loved to do but would probably never come to fruition.  

Way too often we get complacent in our current job fields. Most Algerians are very happy to have a job due to the increasing unemployment rate. Americans should feel the same way, as our unemployment rate is still on the rise. Often we find ourselves so unhappy in our current job that it leads us to be ungrateful for even having a job in the first place. I say, if you’re not happy then get out of the seat so that someone else who needs and wants the job can fill it with a smile. A few jobs later and I finally get that concept. If we don’t like the position we are in, then it’s up to us to change it and find happiness or we can choose to stay in it and forever complain. No matter what, in the end, it’s a choice that we make.

When the work day ended I went back to my vehicle and either drove home or stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few items for dinner. Regardless of what I wanted, I could usually find the item at one of the nearby stores. I would then go into my pantry and select from my many options to fix a meal. After dinner I could choose a dessert to my liking or go out to purchase whatever I desired. Later I would take advantage of some down time and hang out with my husband. Like many other families we would scan the hundreds of channels on the television to find a good show or movie to watch.

Now, when my husband gets off work he does not have the option of going to the store on the way home. For one he walks to work every day. Two, he and I must request drivers to go anywhere. Most of the time he gets off too late to have a driver take us shopping. Also, it is not recommended for me to go anywhere alone. Therefore, if I want to go to the grocery store I should have my husband with me or another embassy staff member. In many ways this takes away a certain part of our freedom. However, the rule is in place for our safety so I cannot argue with it all. It simply makes me miss the thrill of getting in my own car, to drive by myself, anywhere I wanted.

There are very few American products in Algiers. Several of their products that are similar lack nearly the same quality or taste. As well, there are many items that I used on a regular basis in the states that are not available here. Items such as vanilla extract, cheddar cheese, almond or soy milk, good food sauces (bbq, teriyaki, marinades, etc.), breakfast meat, pork (my husband’s favorite), cream cheese, syrup, grits, quality paper towels, good detergent or toilet tissue, and so much more. Some days it’s hard to go into the kitchen or closet and not have my “everyday” items available.

Simple things like turning on the television and surfing channels are all items of luxury. It may not feel like it while you have access to it, but when you no longer have the option you begin to realize just how privileged you were. We have AFN (Armed Forces Network) which consists of approximately nine channels. We don’t have access to much, nor do many Algerians have access to the large array of channels that we did in the states. As children and adults, think of how often you sit down to watch TV or play video games but a few minutes later you say you have nothing to do. Think of how often we treat these devices as necessities in our lives, when actually they are items of indulgence that we are privileged to have.  

Depending on what kind of day I had I would either exercise that evening or put it off until the next day, hoping to actually follow through with the commitment I made to myself that I would make time to exercise every evening. I would then take a nice long shower to relax my mind and body. Afterwards, I would run the sink water while brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth. I would then lotion up with my favorite body product. I climbed into bed and finally laid my head to rest before I had to wake up again and repeat the day.

Many Algerians are in great shape because they exercise often while performing everyday tasks. Algiers is comprised of significantly steep hills, rocky roads, and sundry steps throughout the city. Although there are numerous cars on the road, there are still many people that do not drive. It is not abnormal to see people walk to and from work, or back and forth to the grocery store every day. Most of us have the comfort of riding in our cars or on public transportation, yet cannot make time in the day for thirty minutes of exercise. Being around this I quickly realized my body is capable of doing much more than I allow it to do.  

Living in a third world country may not be the most sought after place to go or have the best conditions to withstand. Nonetheless, I believe there is beauty to be found in this place. I am certain to discover that unique upside in the daily lessons I learn here. In turn those lessons will give me a greater appreciation for what I once had in the states and will have when I return. I also believe the beauty will come from the stories I share through this blog with family and friends back in the states and with those individuals across the world.

You may not be able to live this lifestyle with me, but there is no way you can read the entries, hear the stories, learn about the lifestyle and customs and not think twice about certain things in your own life as you do them. That very moment you think twice is when you will discover the appreciation of turning on your faucet and having clean water to consume. It is when you will find much joy in freely washing your face, body, and hair without concern of any harsh water causing damage to your body. It is when you will value the freedom of moving about as you choose without any limitations. It is when you will be thankful for the cable TV, Play Station, or Wii that is hooked up in your room. It is when you will be glad to drive on the roads that you complain about every day without great anxiety of reckless drivers passing you by every minute or having to tackle a numerous number of blind curves during your regular outings. It is when you will be thankful for every high quality food product and household good item that you purchase in the store. It is when you will be grateful for the portion of food on your plate and not be so eager to return for more. It is when you will appreciate the fruit you consume without ever thinking twice to wash it first. It is when you will look in the mirror and know that you are beautiful before you layer on the make-up, squeeze into the tight pants, or leave your breasts exposed because you consider them accessories. It is when you will decide to make time to exercise every day because you know the commute to your job was no workout at all. It is when we will wake up before our alarm clock in the morning feeling thankful for a new day and knowing that it will be great because of all the options we have to choose from.

Yes, when we think twice we will grow a greater appreciation of all the resources surrounding us, and begin fulfilling the undiscovered potential within us. We’ll then realize that we don’t have as many limitations as we once thought. And we’ll see that our lifestyle is quite luxurious after all.

A situation is only as bad as we allow it to be. When you wake up tomorrow morning, hit your alarm, get out of bed and make it a great day, because your possibilities are endless.

5 comments:

  1. wow!!! i felt like I'm there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very well done compare and contrast of your life here and now abroad! We are all so blessed to be afforded the opportunity to be brought into your world there, as (at least for me) it makes us appreciate the niceties we have here in the states that we so take for granted. Today, I will brush my teeth, eat my breakfast and sit in traffic as I do every day...but today, I will look at all of these things with fresh eyes...Thanks Nikki...we really miss you guys! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ, thank so much! Sometimes we all need a little reflection and appreciation every now and then over what we consider to be little things. :) Love ya and miss you much.

      Delete
  3. You can honestly go years and years taking things for granted - I know I have. Being here and seeing the things that we've seen in this short month have been quite eye-opening. I know there is much to be seen here, despite what we may have been told in the past. One kilometer (going metric...when in Rome) off compound today and I feel like I am in a place that I have only read about or seen in movies or TV or something. The people, the culture, the atmosphere are awe-inspiring. It's not the slums or the "ghetto" as much as it is a different way of living. It may seem foreign to us, but we see everyday that this is normal to the locals. They stand closer to other people than Americans do. They eat smaller portioned meals than we're accustomed to. They dress different, they certainly speak different, and they basically are different - to us. I'm sure everyone who visits or lives in the U.S. from another country feels the same way. We are the foreigners here, not them, and I realize that their normal will soon become ours as we adapt to our new landscape. Moving post, really moving. I love it and i love you!

    ReplyDelete